Sir Peter Maire DCNZM “Turning around and rebuilding a couple of investment disasters”
Tuesday, June 12, 2012 from 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM
Come along for an entertaining and candid presentation with Sir Peter Maire. From Navman Peter went on to become a minority investor in various technology companies. Two of these companies got into serious financial problems after accruing massive financial losses. In 2009 Peter ended up owning both compaines and began the rebuilding process. Today both companies are profitable and growing internationally. Peter will cover the reasons for failure during the GFC and the turnaround process which included restructure, product development and building out global distribution.
Fusion Electronics operates globally in the consumer marine and automotive audio market. Fusion Transactive was the retail petroleum software division of Provenco that Peter acquired in 2009, it provides retail software and payments hardware to the global petroleum market.
Sir Peter Maire started Talon Technology with Lionel Rogers in the front room of his house in 1987.In 1995 French company Plastimo becomes Talons European distributor. They launch a marine brand and sales treble following moving into the consumer GPS market in 1998.In 2001 Maire rebrands Talon Technology as “Navman” (a brand name bought off Plastimo for a $1) and wins a government research grant to develop in-car GPS navigation.
By 2004 Navman has revenue in excess of $100 Million. Brunswick, a New York Stock Exchange-listed manufacturer of marine and recreation equipment, buys a 70 percent stake in Navman – taking up the remaining 30% in 2005.Peter Maire – divested of running Navman – established Tahia Investments in 2006 taking a 20% shareholding in GPS Crystal manufacturer Rakon and investing in several other hi-tech companies including Orion, Cadmus and Fusion.
Our high value networking events are held on the second Tuesday of the month at Glengarry Victoria Park and feature a two course meal and wine tasting with a professional sommelier. Join us for our next event!
The NZSA would like to thank the following organisations for their continued support: