In this issue we put out a call for participants to the August Angel at my Table event – anyone running an early stage software company will be considered. We also introduce our newest sponsor, announce our partnership with IITP around their inaugural Excellence in IT awards and offer up some free passes to upcoming industry events. Read all about it here.
Archive for Newsletters
We’ve got a new look!
The New Zealand Software Association has rebranded and we hope you like our fresh new look. The logo represents the diversity of the software industry and the valuable connections members make through the association.
What else is new?
- A membership ‘badge’ for our members to promote their status on email signatures or websites.
- A new look to our website – to be unveiled at the event tomorrow!
We have some more great reasons to spread the word about the NZSA:
- Bring a Friend – refer a friend or colleague to an event and receive a free drink, on us! The guest must fill in your name as the referrer when registering. (Guest must must not have attended an event in the past 12 months.)
- New Member Sign-up – sign up as a new member on-site at our event and receive a free gift. (You must not have been a member during the past 12 months.) If the new member was referred by a current member, named on the event registration form, the referring member will also get a free gift.
April 8 Scott Bradley of VMob: Building a cloud-based mobile marketing platform – register now!
Ben Casse of Fisher & Paykel Healthcare will be speaking on May 13
In March we heard from Hal Josephson, check out his slides or find out more about his latest project Digital Disruption.
Legal Savings on Offer
NZSA members have access to discounted rates on a set of legal templates from Hudson Gavin Martin. Among them are contracts for software licencing, SaaS/ASP licencing, support agreements and much more – all for $850+GST. Contact email@example.com.
Our friends at IITP have launched a survey on the impact of software procurement on IT project failure. If you have been involved in software development or responding to IT-related procurement requests, they want to hear from you. We look forward to seeing their results.
Annual General Meeting
We had a great member turnout to the AGM. Outgoing President Jane Smallfield presented the financials and amendments to the NZSA constitution were ratified.
Roger Ford, COO of the Testing Consultancy has joined the Executive. Roger has 30+ years in the software industry including ten with giants like Oracle and Microsoft, and has served as judge, mentor and guest presenter for Spark, the Microsoft Imagine Cup and the BNZ Virgin Challenge. We are excited to welcome another great leader onto our hard working Executive team.
We also gave a big salute to the people who are stepping down – thanks for your valuable contribution Terry Paddy, Paul Norrie and Anchali Anandanayagam!
The group subsequently elected the NZSA’s next president, Gavin Lennox. Gavin is honoured to take up the challenge and also acknowledged the outstanding contribution Jane has made to the organisation during her tenure.
NZSA Networking Events
2013 has been a fantastic year for the NZSA, hearing from speakers like Vikram Kumar of Mega, Mitch Olson of SmallWorlds fame, Serko’s Darrin Grafton, and many more.
Our Christmas celebration on December 10 was a major highlight with Regan’s wine tasting challenge (who knew the Australians made such a nice tempranillo?) and lots of festive cheer. Thanks to everyone who came along and helped make it special.
(Photo courtesy of Sean Mitchell: Ann McKenzie & Jane Smallfield)
We are already filling up the event calendar for 2014, mark your diary!
- February 11: Mike Riley of Endace will talk about building a global network equipment manufacturer from NZ
- March 11: international business development expert Hal Josephson
All of our networking events include a wine tasting and a two-course dinner.
Industry News & Events
- Nominations are open now for the 2014 Hi Tech Awards.
- Conferenz is hosting the 7th Annual Business Intelligence Conference Feb 24-25 (NZSA member discount available)
- New Zealand Tech Connect – an online event to attract top global talent to New Zealand, Feb 24
See you next year at Glengarry Victoria Park. Until then, happy holidays!
Market Measures: the verdict is in
Download the report to:
- Discover what the highest growth companies are doing
- See the latest trends in marketing technology products and services globally.
Join us for our popular monthly networking events which include a wine tasting with Regan from Glengarry as well as a full dinner!
- If you couldn’t join us in October, you missed a cracker of an evening. Mitch Olson of SmallWorlds fame shared (through the guise of selling pirate-themed knitwear to animals) his keys to success as an entrepreneur, including self-authorship, empathy and originality. Check out Mitch’s website for more.
- November 12: Export success: Catalyst IT’s journey from Wellington to Brighton, UK with Don Christie, sponsored by UKTI. Register now!
- December 10: our popular annual Christmas celebration and AGM all rolled into one! We’ll be pulling out all the stops to celebrate a year that has seen some outstanding speakers from Serko’s Darrin Grafton to Vikram Kumar of Mega. Mark your calendar and stay tuned for more details.
Call for Nominations
We’ve got some big ideas for 2014 and need some talented people to join the NZSA Executive and help build on the legacy. If you’ve ever thought about joining or know someone who would be a good candidate, it’s a great time to get in touch and find out more. The commitment is for a one-year term and elections will be held at our AGM in December.
- IITP National Conference – Tauranga 23-25 October
- Prof Jeff Cole will be presenting the results from the World Internet Project at AUT mid-November.
Market Measures: Calling All Kiwi Tech Companies
Everyone who completes the online survey receives a free copy of the report (value: $250). See how your company measures up, visit www.marketmeasures.co.nz.
The survey closes Friday 16 August.
NZSA Networking Events
Join us for our popular monthly networking events:
- September 10: Engaging with multinationals:perspectives from ex-Oracle MD Peter Idoine. Owen Scott of Concentrate will also present a summary of findings from the Market Measures survey.
- October 8: From SmallWorlds to the Big Time: Mitch Olsen on the tech startup ecosystem.
- Cloud Computing Conference – at Rendezvous Hotel, August 14. 10% discount for NZSA members.
- Kiwi PyCon conference – at AUT, September 6-8. Come along and learn all about the Python programming language.
- Mark your calendar for the annual half-day Canterbury Software Summit, October 3rd in Christchurch. The opening keynote presenter is Claudia Batten, followed by four track sessions with speakers from the Kiwi Landing Pad, MediaSense, SmudgeApps, Tait Communications, AdScale, Runaway Play, Trigger Happy and more.
Software is booming in New Zealand, from big wins at the Hi Tech Awards (congratulations Xero and Vend in particular) to a recent flurry of announcements around NZX listings. What an exciting time for our industry! … Read more from our latest newsletter.
Click here to register as a FREE MEMBER and get NZSA updates and latest news delivered directly to your inbox.